Applications for FIAO Grades 6-8 After School Programs Begin Soon ... Please Read
September 8, 2021 Family Welcome Letter from Principal Klein
September 8, 2021
Dear P.S./I.S. 226 Families,
Welcome to the 2021-2022 Homecoming! I am excited and eager to welcome you back to school after what I hope was a safe, relaxing, and joyful summer. For those of you who are new to our school, you are in a truly special learning community with a proud, ninety-one year tradition. Our P.S./I.S. 226 school community has Panther Pride and is united in our commitment to the school’s mission: empower all students to achieve their fullest academic, social, and emotional potential. We fully integrate the R.U.L.E.R. approach to social/emotional learning into our academic content, which aims in a systematic way to infuse the principles of emotional intelligence into every aspect of our school community. Focusing on social/emotional learning, which our students, faculty, and families need now more than ever after these challenging last nineteenth months during COVID-19, will allow our diverse Panther family to support one another using empathy and a shared emotional vocabulary. These remain unprecedented times and we have caring, dedicated teachers and educators who are ready once again to go above and beyond to support your children during this new, in-person school year.
We have been working hard all summer to plan for a safe opening of school and to implement best practices to mitigate the risks associated with COVID-19. Our class sizes are smaller than ever in each grade in order to maintain social distancing of at least three feet. Students will wear face coverings, check temperatures at home, complete DOE health screenings daily, and 10% of our students in Grades 1-8 and faculty will be tested for COVID-19 every other week. Two air purifiers have been placed in every single classroom and windows will be open throughout the building to enhance ventilation. Hand sanitizer stations are placed in every multi-purpose learning space and classroom. Signage has been installed throughout the building and schoolyard to guide students. We will continue to utilize opportunities to safely access outdoor learning spaces in the schoolyard and will ensure that weather permitting, our students have outdoor recess during lunch. Instructional time will be exclusively devoted to educating our students on the importance of mask-wearing, handwashing, and social distancing. Although there will be opportunities for mask breaks, face coverings are 100% required for all students and faculty members throughout the school day.
All families are required to monitor their children for signs of infectious illness daily. Students who are sick should not attend school in-person. Every child should have their temperatures checked daily at-home before leaving the house. You can read more about the “Safe and Healthy Learning for All” Department of Education plan at this regularly updated website here.
In addition to your child(ren)’s teacher(s), you have several important administrative contacts available for support I want all of you to be aware of. The school phone number is 718-234-4940 and their extensions are below:
- Ms. Lermer, Parent Coordinator = ALermer@schools.nyc.gov (ext. 1531)
- Ms. Adam, School Counselor = NAdam17@schools.nyc.gov (ext. 3601)
- Ms. Adelson, IEP Teacher = RAdelso@schools.nyc.gov (ext. 1281)
- Ms. Jadoo, Social Worker = TJadoo2@schools.nyc.gov (ext. 2552)
- Mr. Tagarelli, Coordinator of Student Support = JTagarelli@schools.nyc.gov (ext. 4341)
- Ms. Tsekouras, School Counselor = DTsekouras@schools.nyc.gov (ext. 4611)
- Ms. Wadowski, School Psychologist = EWadowski@schools.nyc.gov (ext. 2553)
- Mr. Hyman, Assistant Principal, Grades PreK-2/Sp. Ed. = BHyman@schools.nyc.gov (ext. 1241)
- Ms. Montanes, Assistant Principal, Grades 6-8 = SMontanes@schools.nyc.gov (ext. 4111)
- Ms. Killelea, Assistant Principal, I.A. Grades 3-5/ESL = LKillelea@schools.nyc.gov (ext. 3221)
The first day of school is Monday, September 13, 2021 for all PreK-8th grade students. Pre-K has a shortened schedule on the 1st day. Session 1 is from 9:00 - 10:30am and Session 2 is from 11:00 - 12:30pm. All incoming Pre-K and Kindergarten students have received their official class notification by email. All students in Grades 1-8 will be notified of their class assignments via their psis226.org student accounts on Thursday, September 9, 2021.
Official school hours are 8:00am – 2:20pm Monday through Friday. Early Morning breakfast is available in the cafeteria from 7:30am – 7:50am. Beginning at 7:50am, Grab & Go breakfast stations will be available, so all students can grab breakfast and eat it in their classrooms during 1st period, which begins promptly at 8:02am. The official Department of Education calendar can be viewed here.
This is a truly special learning community and your partnership is integral to the success of all PreK-8th grade Panthers.
Thank you for your continued support.
With Gratitude and Hope,
What's Happening in NYC Schools ?
Please read what is happening and what to look for before school starts Monday, September 13.
Welcome to 2021-2022 P.S./I.S. 226 Homecoming!
We're incredibly excited for our Homecoming on Monday, September 13th and hope you are too! Go Panthers! Here are a few important school reopening updates:
- We will have a Thursday, September 9th Principal's Family Town Hall on Zoom at 6:00pm to review important safety protocols, our exciting 1st day of school, answer family questions, and more. A Zoom link will be sent out to everyone in advance of the meeting.
- All incoming Pre-K and Kindergarten students will receive their official class notification by email before the end of this week. All students in Grades 1-8 will be notified of their class assignments via their psis226.org student accounts on Thurs., Sept. 9th. Thank you!
- Official School Hours beginning on our 1st Day of School are: 8:00am - 2:20pm Monday through Friday. See 2021-2022 Daily Morning Arrival Procedures outlined below. Pre-K has a Shortened Schedule on the 1st day. Session 1 is from 9:00 - 10:30am and Session 2 is from 11:00 - 12:30pm.
2021-2022 Daily Morning Arrival Procedures:
Morning Arrival Procedures:
- 7:30 A.M. Early Arrival/Breakfast - Exit 2 Cafeteria Ramp entrance opens on 23rd Avenue
- 7:50 A.M. Doors Open for Grades K-8
- **8:00 A.M.** Pre-K enters through Exit 5 Ramp closest to 61st Street - No Stairwell
- Families Line up on Ramp and students are picked up by classroom paraprofessionals. Families exit on stairs. Paras walk students into the classrooms.
Grade K - 3 = 7:50 A.M. Exit 7 - directly into auditorium - using stairwell A/B
Grade 4 & 5 = 7:50 A.M. Exit 9 - directly into the gym - using stairwell G
Grade 6 & 7 = 7:55 A.M. Exit 9 - directly go right into classrooms - using stairwell G
Grade 8 = 7:55 A.M. Exit 5 - directly go right into classrooms - using stairwell E/F